In this post we introduce Custom Requirements Traceability Report feature (new in ReqView 2.0.2) and provide an example of End-to-End Requirements Traceability Report tracing business requirements down to the corresponding test cases.
Detailed and consistent requirements traceability is a key for understanding impact of proposed changes during impact analysis. It is also essential for ensuring compliance with several Automotive, Aerospace & Defense and Medical industry standards.
A requirement Traceability Matrix is a kind of table view which can help to understand project traceability. For instance, a traceability matrix with all requirements (rows) covered by test cases (columns) proves that no functionality was missed during testing.
Traceability Matrices have several disadvantages making them difficult to use:
- Reviewing a large traceability matrix is inconvenient and error prone.
- Multiple traceability matrices needs to be browsed to analyze traceability over multiple traceability levels.
- A traceability matrix cannot clearly display additional information such as requirement / test status.
Custom Traceability Report
To solve these issues we have implemented powerful custom Requirements Traceability Report having following advantages:
- You can overview requirements document structure together with traceability information which presented in a traceability column next to requirement description.
- You can visualize requirements traceability across multiple levels in a tree.
- You can customize report layout by HTML templates.
- You can customize report visual style by CSS.
- You can display additional information presenting selected attributes of the linked objects.
- You can browse traceability by clicking on URL links
The following picture shows an example top-down Traceability Report displaying the highest level business needs (NEEDS) satisfied by detailed functional requirements (SRS) verified by test cases (TESTS):
From this report you can easily see which functionality has missing tests or which functionality has been verified by tests with Passed status.
Similarly, you can create an inverse bottom-up Traceability Report to see coverage of test cases by high level requirements revealing implemented functionality which was not possibly requested by a customer.
Traceability Report Template
There are two new Handlebars block helpers
eachOutlinkWith which you can use for iteration of outgoing resp. incoming links in the document object context. These two helpers take as parameter type of iterated link.
Following snippet illustrates how to generate Traceability column information for the example above:
You can download full example traceability report templates from the ReqView Support Site (log in needed).